12.11.2013

A Recipe for Homemade Ponche

Ponche, a delicous Mexican hot fruit punch, is always synonymous with the holidays–and though I've never actually made it myself, I've watched year after year as my mom prepares it around Christmastime. I did, however, get the recipe to make it from her, so you all can try your hand at making ponche:

What you'll need:

-1 1/2 gallons of water
-1 pound of tejocotes (small fruits that you can find at a Mexican grocery store)
-1 pound guavas
-6-8 cinnamon sticks
-2 piloncillos (a special compacted brown sugar you can find at a Mexican grocery store)
-1 small bag of tamarindo
-1 pound of sugar cane

What to Do:

1. Add the 1 1/2 gallons of water to a pot.
2. Chop the tejocotes and guavas in small pieces, and peel the tamarindo.
3. Add the chopped tejocotes, guavas, and peeled tamarindo to the pot, along with the 2 piloncillos and 1 pound of sugar cane.
4. Boil for 45 minutes to an hour.

Image found here.

No comments: